Monday, 25 April 2011

Ayreon - The Human Equation


So recently I've been listening to a lot more music. Last.fm helped me discover some new bands, and I recently discovered a nice little program called Songbird as a replacement for iTunes.

A friend of mine suggested to me this interesting act called "Ayreon".
Dutch composer Arjen Anthony Lucassen and his horde of fellow musicians band together to create heavy/progressive metal operas featuring large hosts of characters, each voiced by a different vocalist.
The albums generally revolve around science fiction, and the story lines somewhat link together.

The album I want to talk about differs from the standard formula in the sense that it isn't standard science fiction, and more of a psychological thriller opera. It follows the story of a man who falls into a coma, every song representing one day. His wife and best friend come visit him, while he must confront his past and his turbulent emotions.

When I first listened to this album I genuinely sat in awe. The mix of different musicians, instruments and styles just blends so well together. I do like a lot of music, listen to a lot of albums and different genres, but The Human Equation really stuck out as something special.

To anyone who appreciates the likes of Dream Theater or Opeth I highly recommend Ayreon.
Start with The Human Equation as I can honestly say it's the best I've listened to, but the others come pretty close. If I had to give The Human Equation a rating, I'd give it 5 life support machines out of 5.

14 comments:

  1. yea i use last.fm, it's pretty awesome. I'm not too much of a metal fan but my brother is, I'm sure he'd like this. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all in to Dream Theater and Opeth... this is a great find, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. last.fm is pretty decent, i use it often :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the same as what Radical Chemist said, so a finding a little less mainstream music that is similar is very welcome. Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow awesome! Good find, followed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, not my kind of music but it sounds interessting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. last.fm dont work in my country :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Songbird you say? will try it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always looking for something like that music to put into my rotation, added/noted/followed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool, but not a fan really!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're pretty damn awesome. Go Last.fm!

    ReplyDelete